Photos: Spirit of '45 Swing Dance and Costume Contest
- Saturday, 11 August 2012
TRAVELERS REST, S.C. -- On Friday evening, the Travelers Rest Historical Society hosted the Spirit of '45 Swing Dance and Costume Contest, part of this year's Spirit of '45 celebration, which will conclude on Sunday. (Read more here.) The event was held in the gymnasium at the former T.R. High School.
The best military costume winner was Andrew Copeland, who wore his grandfather’s WWII uniform jacket. The best civilian costume winner was Rebecca Kelby, who wore her grandmother’s blouse, a handmade jumper, "practical shoes", costume jewelry, bright red lipstick and braided hair.
Both Copeland and Kelby are members of the Greenville Lindy Hoppers, an all-volunteer group dedicated to promoting and preserving historic swing-era dancing in the Upstate.
Most Read on the Tribune
- Marietta man sentenced to life for role in 2011 murder
- Vandalism leaves doors, windows shattered on Travelers Rest businesses
- Cafe at Williams Hardware ends dinner service, announces Sunday breakfast
- Travelers Rest musician aims to grow local music scene
- Local mission project provides free art camps, music camps, more