Local dentist receives statewide award
- Tuesday, 26 February 2013
- Written by James Richardson
TRAVELERS REST, S.C. – A Travelers Rest-based dentist has received the James B. Edwards Citizenship Award from the South Carolina Dental Association, it was recently announced.
Dr. A. Duncan Shirley III, owner of Prime Dental, was chosen as the 2013 recipient for the award, which is given to the dentist who has served the citizens of SC in a manner that reflects a positive image of dentistry, according to officials.
The award is also based on humanitarian activities, community service and cultural contributions.
Dr. Shirley was honored for his continued service to the Travelers Rest community as well as his volunteer work with both the Greenville Free Dental Clinic and the free Miracle Hill Dental Clinic in Spartanburg.
The Miracle Hill Dental Clinic closed in June 2009 and was able to reopen in October of the same year due to the efforts of Dr. Shirley. Organizing volunteers within the dental community, the clinic serves patients who are unable to seek treatment elsewhere through special sessions that are held once or twice each month.
In addition to volunteering his services throughout the greater Greenville and Spartanburg areas, Dr. Shirley is the organizer of the annual Swamp Rabbit Hayride and a notable participant in the Travelers Rest Relay for Life.
Related on the Tribune:
(Pictured: Dr. Duncan Shirley prepares to take area residents on the third annual Swamp Rabbit Hayride/T.R. Tribune Staff photo.)
Most Read on the Tribune
- Marietta man sentenced to life for role in 2011 murder
- Vandalism leaves doors, windows shattered on Travelers Rest businesses
- Cafe at Williams Hardware ends dinner service, announces Sunday breakfast
- Travelers Rest musician aims to grow local music scene
- Local mission project provides free art camps, music camps, more