From our news coverage partners at GreerToday.com:
The forecast for four consecutive nights of freezing temperatures has led one area public works agency to issue tips on preventing frozen pipes around homes and businesses.
Beginning Wednesday evening, overnight temperatures are scheduled to dip to 13, 20 (Thursday), 23 (Friday) and 29 (Saturday), although no freezing precipitation is scheduled throughout the week, according to the weather service.
The Greer Commission of Public Works offers the following tips for protecting your pipes during the cold spell:
• If you are leaving for the night or for a few days, set the thermostat in your house no lower than 55°F. Ask a friend or neighbor to check your house daily to make sure it’s warm enough to prevent freezing.
• You may also shut off and drain the water system by turning the water off at your meter. Be aware that if you have a fire protection sprinkler system in your house, it will be deactivated when you shut off the water.
• Insulate pipes or faucets in unheated areas. Wrap pipes before temperatures drop with approved materials. Pipe wrapping materials can be found at hardware and building supply stores.
• Seal off access doors, air vents and cracks. Winter winds whistling through overlooked openings can quickly freeze exposed water pipes.
• Disconnect and drain outdoor hoses. Disconnecting hoses allows water to drain and helps prevent freezing.
• If your pipes have frozen and you are at home, open a faucet and wait until water begins flowing again. Listen for leaks — water expands when it freezes, which can cause leaks in pipes. If you discover a leak, turn off the water supply to your home at the main shut-off valve and contact a plumber.
• Leaving a pencil lead thin stream of water flowing from faucets coming from pipes in unheated areas or against exterior walls may prevent pipes from freezing.
• Keeping the cabinet doors open to allow more home heat to reach the pipes may also help prevent freezing for pipes underneath sinks and in cabinets.
Residents and businesses are advised to locate their master shut-off valve, which can turn water off to the entire house in the event of a leak. In the case of frozen pipes or a leak, individuals should contact a plumber.