SLATER, S.C. – Slater has been chosen as one of six communities in South Carolina to host a Smithsonian Institution traveling exhibition in 2015, and organizers have announced a string of sports-related community events that will be held in conjunction with the exhibit.
Sponsored by the Slater Hall Citizen's Committee and the Travelers Rest Historical Society, "Hometown Teams: How Sports Shape America," seeks to capture the history and pride of communities through something that has become an indelible part of our culture – sports.
The exhibit runs from Sept. 12 though Oct. 25 at Slater Hall.
Scheduled community events include:
• Sept. 10 - Storytelling at the Travelers Rest Library
• Sept. 12 - Opening Day Road Rally
• Sept. 15 - Travelers Rest Historical Society Meeting at Slater Hall
• Sept. 19 - Annual Slater-Marietta High School Reunion
• Sept. 26 - Cycling event along the GHS Swamp Rabbit Trail
• Oct. 10 - Sports-themed outdoor movie night at Slater Hall
• Oct. 24 - Vintage Baseball Game in Greenville ("Shoeless" Joe Jackson team vs. Ty Cobb team)
• To learn more about “Hometown Teams: How Sports Shape America,” visit the Smithsonian website here.
• To learn more about the Slater Hall Citizens' Committee, visit their website here.
• To learn more about the Travelers Rest Historical Society, visit their website here.
- 10/25/15 - Slater Hall: Hometown Teams Smithsonian Exhibit
Smithsonian 'Hometown Teams' exhibit open at Slater Hall
- 09/12/15 (Saturday) - Travelers Rest History Museum: Road Rally to Slater Hall (9 a.m. - 11 a.m.)
- Historical Society's storytelling night series continues with 'Hometown Sports'
Slater Hall to host Smithsonian 'Hometown Teams' exhibit