Elderly couple dies from carbon monoxide poisoning, coroner says

GREENVILLE, S.C. — An elderly couple married for more than 67 years died from carbon monoxide poisoning over the weekend, according to the Greenville County Coroner's Office.

Robert Pulliam Bell, 87, and Ruby L. Bell, 86, were found dead in their home on Mountain Brook Trail on Saturday morning.

According to Coroner B. Parks Evans, the couple had been without power since Friday and had set up a generator in their garage.

The couple's son came to the home on Saturday and found the garage door was closed and the house was locked. Upon entering, he said there was a strong odor of gasoline exhaust and the area around the generator was coated with a dark film, Coroner Evans said.

Duncan Chapel firefighters responded to the scene, calling for the coroner's office shortly after their arrival.

The deaths have been ruled accidental, Evans said, adding that Robert Bell was familiar with the generator and had used it multiple times in the past years.

Woodlawn Funeral Home is in charge or arrangements.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, generators should not be placed inside a home, basement, or garage and never less than 20 feet from a window or door. The CDC also recommends that every home have a CO detector installed.

For more information about carbon monoxide poisoning, visit the CDC website here.

(Map attribution.)

Stay connected with the Travelers Rest Tribune: FacebookTwitterInstagram