TRAVELERS REST, S.C. — Furman University’s Music by the Lake Summer Concert Series celebrates its 50th anniversary this summer. A Greenville tradition since 1968, the series begins Thursday, May 24 at 7:30 p.m. in the university’s amphitheater. Opening the 11-concert series for this golden anniversary is “The Kings of Swing” performed by the Lakeside Concert Band.
The Lakeside Concert Band and other ensembles and artists celebrate the Sounds of Summer Thursday evenings at 7:30 p.m. through Aug. 2. Relax on the grounds of the spacious amphitheater by the Furman lake and enjoy a cross-section of Big Band, jazz, bluegrass, contemporary, marches and orchestral favorites. Thanks to generous local sponsors, all concerts are free and open to the public.
(Advertisement. Continue reading below.)
Each Thursday during the series, a concert picnic basket filled with goodies will be given away to a lucky concert goer.
The concerts are made possible by Furman University and are sponsored by the Bank of Travelers Rest, George Coleman Ford, The Greenville News, Publix Supermarkets, The Woodlands at Furman, Greenville Health System North Greenville Hospital, and Pecknel Music Company.
Learn more about the Summer Concert Series here. For parking information call 864-294-2111. Bus parking is available. Rain location is TBD as McAlister Auditorium is closed for renovation in summer 2017. A complete schedule follows:
2017 Music by the Lake at Furman University:
• May 24 “The Kings of Swing” - Lakeside Concert Band: Leslie W. Hicken, director
• May 31 “Circus Days” - Lakeside Concert Band: Leslie W. Hicken, director
• June 7 “The Lights on Broadway” - Carolina Youth Symphony: Leslie W. Hicken, director
• June 14 Spartanburg Jazz Ensemble: Tom Wright, director
• June 21 “For New York” - “Rhapsody in Blue” - Poinsett Wind Symphony: Leslie W. Hicken and Jay Bocook, directors; Derek Parsons, piano soloist
• June 28 “Let Freedom Ring: A Patriotic Celebration” - The Greenville Chorale: Bing Vick, director; Lakeside Concert Band: Leslie W. Hicken, director
• July 5 The Matt Olson Quintet: Matt Olson, director
• July 12 Bluegrass Night: The Andy Carlson Band
• July 19 “Valentine’s Day in July” - Lakeside Concert Band: Leslie W. Hicken, director
• July 26 “Lakeside 50th Golden Anniversary” - Lakeside Concert Band: Leslie W. Hicken, director
• August 2 Contemporary Jazz: The Steve Watson Band
Subscribe to the Tribune's free, weekly eNews.