Vacant home destroyed in fire

TRAVELERS REST, S.C. – Tigerville Fire Dept. firefighters responded to a house fire on Rabbit Road around 4:45 last Friday afternoon, finding it engulfed in flames upon their arrival.

The fire was called in by an area resident who told dispatchers heavy, black smoke was in the air.

The call came in as a storm passed through the area, and lightning is suspected to be the cause, according to Tigerville Fire Chief Russell Ledford.

The home was vacant and a total loss, according to Ledford.

Firefighters with North Greenville Fire Dept. assisted. No injuries were reported.